Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bust It

OK, so it's been a really wicked long week. I'm still decompressing after my trip back to Jersey for my HS reunion, and will post in more detail later this week. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all that happened--and my BAC is still inching it's way back towards normal--suffice it to say, I'm just not ready yet.

One tidbit I heard about that struck me prior to the weekend was the fact that one of my favorite songs ever-ever-ever is celebrating a very big anniversary. Yes, much like the class of 1989, Bust A Move is also turning 20 this year.

This is hands down one of the greatest songs of all time, because you simply cannot hear it without dancing--even the white boys need to shake a little tail when that tune comes on. Don't believe me?? Here--I defy you to sit still...




And the fact that this is actual poor-quality video footage from the year the magic happened is even better--and from the Arsenio Hall Show no less. I absolutely looove everything about it--the girlie "dressed in yellow" dancing in her spandex bra/biker short ensemble, the backup dudes with their sculpted hair and very pegged pants--so very, very awesome. The only way it could possibly be better is if it was taken at at house party with big-haired chicks dancing on tables, and I will neither confirm nor deny how I know that a video such as that exists

I'm not ashamed to admit it is a tune that harkens back to the days when there was a kinder, gentler hip-hop, that I still listen to today (and am training the Chicas to appreciate). I still know most of the words to 5 Minutes of Funk, Rapper's Delight, and just about everything on Run DMC's Raising Hell. I love Grandmaster Flash, Rob Bass, and especially the Beastie Boys. Don't get me wrong, I dig Public Enemy as much as the next white chick who grew up in suburban Jersey, but at a certain point, I just couldn't relate to hip-hop anymore, and my affection stayed with the originals. I am just Old School. No pun intended. And now that it's been 20 years, it's official.

No comments:

Post a Comment