Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Slainte!

OK, so St. Patrick's Day is upon us, and I have to admit, I'm a little crabby. It could be that, once again, I am not sleeping well or that my Neti Pot addiction has failed to kick this freakin' cold. But let's be honest, more than likely it is because I am not bellied up to the bar in a dark Irish pub swilling down my 9th Black and Tan while belting out "Drunken Sailor" and "Green Alligators" at the top of my lungs with 185 of my closest friends. Yeah, it's not much fun when an adult-oriented, irresponsible holiday falls on A) a work day, and B) on a day when I have Chica-Duty.

So it was with this spirit of pissy unwillingness that I greeted my day, and slogged through it like a 3 year old at the mall two days before Christmas. I even wore a (very cute) green sweater today, which I never do because I'm very Irish every day so why bother show it one one particular day, plus it strikes very close to my policy that grown-ups should avoid holiday-theme-clothing at all costs. I gazed longingly at the full parking lots at Rosie O'Grady's and listened intently to the reports of the drunken sots screaming "WOO HOO!" live from Duggan's and the Old Shillelagh. I reminisced about the St. Pats' of old at Murphy's Law where we'd start the day at the crack of noon and stay til we closed the bar and my shoes would stick to the floor and we couldn't afford Guinness so we drank Miller O'Lite, but never, ever the green kind.

Yeah, I missed that today. Today weighed heavy with meetings and emails, and carpools and homework and it was, quite frankly just a regular Tuesday. Not very Irish or even very holidayish for that matter. But I have a sneaking suspicion I will wake up tomorrow, my hair will not reek of cigarette smoke, I will have more than 6 crushed slightly damp dollar bills in my pocket, and I won't be trying to piece together how on earth I managed to lose a shoe, come home braless, and get that monstrous bruise on my left forearm. Yes, tomorrow, March 18th, I will wake clear-headed and alert, and blessedly hangover-free. Man, does that suck or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment