Saturday, March 14, 2009

Junkie

OK, so I have been all awhirl this week, eagerly anticipating my favorite time of year--March Madness!! (you need to say that with a sing-songy-lilt to your voice like when Oprah announces her favorite things). I have stayed up way too late all week watching games, catching Sportscenter--I'm beginning to think I may have a slight problem. But hey, if being a Hoops Junkie is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

So the Big East Tournament this year has been one for the ages. Were it not for Marquette's inability to rise above losing their point guard and thus crapping out of every game for the past 2 weeks, I'd say it has been nearly perfect. That Syracuse team is simply unbelievable--I can't possibly add anything more to the litany of well-deserved praise that followed the 6 OT spectacle the other night, so I won't even try. Even better, they then sent Bob Huggins packing, and anyone who does that is A-OK by me. Don't tell Buzz Williams, but I think they may be my new favorite team--certainly one that will factor heavily in my bracketology this week. And, I'm not ashamed to admit, even though it is very Coo-Coo-Catchoo of me, but that Eric Devendorf is now my newest IB.

I'm currently watching Michigan State in the Big Ten tourney. I love State because they are always a solid team that you don't hear much about (probably because I am not an alumni, but still) and then all of a sudden the season's over, they're ranked in the Top 10, and making lots of noise. I do not, however, understand everyone's love-affair with Memphis. Don't get me wrong, they are a good team, and that John Calipari is kind of delicious, but how can we take them seriously as long as they continue to play in Conference USA? I mean, they won their conference championship game against a team that only managed 39 points--really? 39 points? Come on. Should that even count as a real game? And then there's the ACC, the Pac-10, the Mid-Majors, and is Dayton going to be Cinderella this year?, and--holy crap, I need to calm down...

And so the waiting begins. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, just itching for all the fun that is just a few hours away. Well, since the selection show isn't until the evening, today is probably still mostly like the 23rd of December, but still--I'm pretty geeked. Back in the day, I'd watch the show and feverishly write down all of the pairings on a yellow legal pad while my brother screamed out the teams and the seeds. And then neatly, very neatly I'd transcribe them into my fresh new Sports Illustrated and/or Courier News bracket sheet. Now I'll just cozy up to the telly, watch to see who makes it and whose bubble bursts, and then just download that bad boy and get to work. I'll be back in Jersey for the Sweet Sixteen, and I'm looking forward to catching some games with some old friends. Still not my Vegas Dream weekend, but a pretty good substitute. The Final Four is here in the D this year--I really hope we don't screw it up--and I would absolutely kill to be able to go. I'm considering selling off either a Chica or a limb to make that happen, but the terms and conditions are tripping me up a little bit, so it's a work in progress.

Yes, it is a pretty freaking magical time of year, full of electricity and hope and excitement, and this here chick loves it madly and completely. My name is Kelly, and I am an addict, proud and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment